Press Conference: Women Leaders of Burma/Myanmar Present Demands to International Community
Grassroots women’s rights activists from Burma/Myanmar spoke for a press briefing on the military coup and its disproportionate impact on women. Occurring less than a week after UN Security Council and UN General Assembly action on the crisis in Burma/Myanmar, the briefing presented demands for the international community from the women of Burma, who have been a central target of military violence for decades.
The briefing featured activists with the Women’s League of Burma, Karenni National Women’s Organization, and Kachin Women’s Association Thailand. In the months since the February 1 military coup, these organizations have regularly challenged international bodies like ASEAN to center the challenges and demands of women in Myanmar.
- Naw Hser Hser, General Secretary, Women’s League of Burma
- Moon Nay Li, Advocacy and Information Officer, Kachin Women’s Association Thailand
- Representative (unnamed for security purposes), Karenni National Women’s Organization
- Misun Woo, Regional Coordinator, Asia Pacific Forum on Women, Law, and Development
- (Moderator) Grant Shubin, Legal Director, Global Justice Center